FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2 February, 2015
INDEPENDENT ADVISORY PANEL CHAIRMAN PRAISES NEW INITIATIVE Eleven Government Service Agencies Awarded Diamond Certification
The Trinidad and Tobago Diamond Standard Programme has the potential over time to significantly influence the service delivery ethos and the public service environment.
This is the conviction of the Chairman of the Trinidad and Tobago Diamond Standard (TTDS) Independent Advisory Panel (IAP) Mr. Gary Voss. Describing the Diamond Standard programme as an “ambitious and a massive undertaking that is very exciting and practical” Mr. Voss said that “antiquated laws, processes, facilities and behaviours are some of the reasons for the standard of service quality provided by the public sector. However he emphasized “change is worth accomplishing notwithstanding the negative public comments about government services”.
Mr. Voss who is the Non-Executive Chairman of Unilever Caribbean Limited, made these comments as he addressed the inaugural Trinidad and Tobago Diamond Standard Awards ceremony where eleven (11) services received the Diamond Standard for excellence in service delivery to citizens and other client groups. The event was hosted by the Ministry of Public Administration at the Queen’s Hall, St. Ann’s on January 21, 2015.
According to Mr. Voss, “The programme uses a bottom up approach and includes processes to get feedback from customers as well as employees from all levels of the organization on how service delivery can be improved. This approach is very different from previous Public Sector Reform efforts as realistic goals are set that for the very first time provides a very good chance of success. The idea is to start small, working with one service at a time to gradually build a momentum towards developing a culture of customer service in the public service. The TTDS is not a one offthing. It needs to be championed at the very highest levels of the organization and management must talk about the programme, encourage it and keep it at the fore front.”
“The Independent Advisory Panel provides guidance, strategic input and advice on the new Certification Programme to ensure its effectiveness and long- term sustainability; conduct audits into the Programme; and reviews the assessments of services applying for the Certification that have been conducted by the Assessors. It comprises persons with a wide range of expertise and from various disciplines within the private sector.
Note to editors:
The eleven (11) Services that received the Trinidad and Tobago Diamond Standard are as follows:
- Naparima College, Ministry of Education;
- Community Walk-In and IT Literacy Centres, Tobago Information Technology Ltd;
- Tobago Emergency Management Agency;
- Women’s Health Clinic, St. James Medical Complex, North West Regional Health Authority (NWRHA);
- Sangre Grande Accident and Emergency, Sangre Grande Hospital, Eastern Regional Health Authority (SWRHA);
- Outpatient Clinic, Scarborough General Hospital, Tobago Regional Health Authority (TRHA);
- Case Management System, Family Court, Judiciary of Trinidad and Tobago;
- Reference and Outreach Department, National Archives of Trinidad and Tobago;
- Trade Licence Unit, Ministry of Trade, Industry, Investment and Communications;
- TTBizlink, Ministry of Trade, Industry, Investment and Communications;
- Water Taxi, National Infrastructure Development Company Ltd;
Mr. Gary Voss, Chairman of the Independent Advisory Committee as he delivers his remarks at the Trinidad and Tobago Diamond Standard Award Ceremony
# # #
For further information, please contact:
Rae Ann Harper-Walters Head, Corporate Communications 623-4724 ext. 2076, 688-2068
or email: email@example.com